viernes, 20 de mayo de 2011

Armero, Colombia - 1985

The Armero tragedy  was one of the major consequences of the eruption of the Nevado del Ruiz stratovolcano in Tolima, Colombia on November 13, 1985. After 69 years of dormancy, the volcano's eruption caught nearby towns unaware, even though the government had received warnings to evacuate the area from multiple volcanological organizations when volcanic activity had been detected in September 1985.
As pyroclastic flows erupted from the volcano's crater, they melted the mountain's glaciers, sending four enormous lahars (volcanically induced mudslides, landslides, and debris flows) down its slopes at 60 kilometers per hour (40 miles per hour). The lahars picked up speed in gullies and coursed into the six major rivers at the base of the volcano; they engulfed the town of Armero, killing more than 20,000 of its almost 29,000 inhabitants.] Casualties in other towns, particularly Chinchiná, brought the overall death toll to 23,000. Footage and photographs of Omayra Sánchez, a young victim of the tragedy, were published around the world. Other photographs of the lahars and the impact of the disaster captured attention worldwide and led to controversy over the degree to which the Colombian government was responsible for the disaster. A banner at a mass funeral in Ibague read, "The volcano didn't kill 22,000 people. The government killed them."

video of Omaira Sanchez

5 comentarios:

  1. Ohhhh My God this disaster leave my family without opportunities and all I got in less than five minutes was lost. I am very sad ,I find no sense to continue living,it simply has no comparison.
    I want to find a way out of so much suffering

    PLEASE HELP USSSSSSS! Are Colombians , are Brothers! You and me make a difference....

    I just want to help us
    all kinds account

    By Leidy Castillo

    ResponderEliminar
  2. I lost my four children , they are my life !

    I lost my house, my fridge, my clothes, my pets, just want to rest.
    if someone sees my son please inform me, their names are: Carlos Guillermo, Luis Antonio, Danilo and Jaime
    call this number 3015783139

    we are all very worry, there are more families lost please need blankets, we need medical care, we need homes .

    WE ARE SICK!!
    I never had been as sad and disconsolate...!



    By Natalie Fernández

    ResponderEliminar
  3. I just...

    I just want to say that disaster have been the worst thing that happened to Armero

    We never thought that this volcano would destroy us

    I know many of us lost valuable things but we should thankful but we live still and we must fight for our family and friends that dead in the disaster more big of all our country ...
    not lose hope

    this is just a test that will overcome together.


    WE MUST UNITE FOR A GOOD!

    TOGETHER!!

    by Vanessa Gomez

    ResponderEliminar
  4. I am the pastor to lead them the right path
    the apocalypse is coming

    Repent all

    but we live in an evil world

    this is nothing compared to what we live
    trust me
    to reach eternal rest and perpetual light shine
    if we all repent the Lord have mercy on us




    By jeniffer Carmona

    ResponderEliminar
  5. this took me by surprise


    I had to leave my house with my 8 sons, run to the window and escape the mud that was coming and that was taking everything in its path.

    by affected person




    the tragedy of Armero was a natural disaster of volcanic eruption

    We all had responsibility for not reporting on the status of the areas that surround us.

    I feel that everybody have fault for to be very inresponse with our thing , only should to be for to help our friends and family


    ARMERO!

    By Adriana De Hoyos

    ResponderEliminar